I was wondering this about the term Bishojo. So about the 美少女? , I was curious on some points. I read Fairy Tail and there is one character(Lucy) whose 17 at the start and time passes and when it ends I believe their age is 20 or so.

So I've seen figures of them here released after the series ends and they use the word Bishojo:

https://hobby.dengeki.com/news/1009509/

and here about them:

https://animemiru.jp/articles/22620/

So I was wondering does it mean the character is not 20 and I was wrong about their age and all

• Wikipedia says Lucy is 17 -> 18 years old. ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/…
    – sundowner
    Mar 24 at 22:42
  • Why was this downvoted?
    – istrasci
    Mar 24 at 23:08
    @istrasci On its own this question seems fine. However this user has been spamming similar age-related questions on both this website and various subreddits for a couple of days now. (Not the downvoter, though)
    – Angelos
    Mar 24 at 23:23
  • @sundowner There is more on more timeskip at the end, so she should be 19-20 by then. However does the term used mean she's not 20 or under 20? Mar 24 at 23:59
    @istrasci this is essentially the 5th (or more) question by the same user that boils down to "does the use of [some word] prove or disprove my vague time-related math for one particular manga."
    – Leebo
    Mar 25 at 5:13

1 Answer 1

When used in a serious novel or news article, the word 少女 usually refers to a girl roughly between 8 and 17.

However, the word 少女 (with 美) in the context of anime/manga/idol is a genre name that vaguely refers to attractive young women in general, and people do not think it strictly refers to girls under 17. Many 美少女ゲーム and 美少女アニメ feature cute women older than 20, 30 or more. For example, Frieren is an anime heroine who is more than 1000 years old, but no one would say she is not categorized as a 美少女. No one will complain if her figure is sold in the 美少女フィギュア section of a hobby shop.

• Does the same apply to ”美少年”?
    – Zorf
    Mar 25 at 6:19
  • @Zorf Yes, it's common to refer to a 25-yo male in the context of idols.
    – naruto
    Mar 25 at 6:24
  • @naruto Hello so Lucy can be 20 years old and called a bishojo? Mar 29 at 19:37
  • @naruto hello did you my response Apr 3 at 16:38
  • @ZainAlleck It's already in my answer. Was my explanation that complicated to you?
    – naruto
    Apr 3 at 17:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .