I think the definition for そっくり that would make remote sense here would be そのまま as any other definition makes less sense, not to mention the fact that the 似ている meanings are for when it's used as a 形容動詞.

• The song: youtube.com/watch?v=ruBxsq03FZo
    – naruto
    Mar 16 at 3:41
    Do you mean そのまま and 似ている are distinct by 'not to mention the fact that the 似ている meanings are for when it's used as a 形容動詞.'?
    – sundowner
    Mar 16 at 3:51
    そっくりな and そっくりの are both possible.
    – aguijonazo
    Mar 16 at 3:56
  • I think that if I included the のこと in 爪食い込む前足そっくりの生き物(のこと図鑑で読んだわ), it would make more sense, perhaps
    – Star Peep
    Mar 16 at 13:08

2 Answers 2

そっくり is used both as a na-adjective and a no-adjective in the same sense. 前足そっくり生き物 and 前足そっくり生き物 mean exactly the same thing, 前足にとても似ている生き物.

So grammatically speaking, the line just means:

爪(が)食い込む前足(に)そっくりの生き物
a creature that looks exactly like a paw with claws digging in

I can't tell what metaphor this is without interpreting the entire lyrics, but as a grammatical explanation, there's nothing more complicated than this.

そっくり means そのまま or 全部 when it's used as an adverb, such as in そっくりお返しされた and そっくり受け入れる. However, when そっくり is used with の or な, it only means "looks alike".

• Well, when the song is about a kasha (don't forget cats are used to test sexual sin in meido) carrying someone married to hell, the line makes absolutely less sense if そっくり can only mean 似ている with nothing omitted and not completely or そのまま
    – Star Peep
    Mar 16 at 13:05
  • The grammar here is definitely (前足が)爪食い込む前足そっくり, then. I really hate those type of phrases... Like 毎日飲んでるサプリメントや (What's up Pop) (and there are other weird examples but I do not remember and I do not know what this grammar pattern is called)
    – Star Peep
    Mar 16 at 13:13
  • Oh, there's another in this song; そういう選択だ
    – Star Peep
    Mar 16 at 14:05

Your understanding is correct (in the sense that そっくり here means the same thing as そのまま#2 - both 'just like').

Xにそっくり can often be shortened to Xそっくり. E.g., タマにそっくりな猫 (a cat very similar to Tama1) can be タマそっくりな猫.

The whole phrase does not make a clear sense, but 爪食い込む前足 should be 爪食い込む前足.

爪が食い込む is ambiguous. It is either the nail curls into2 the forefoot or the forefoot grips on something in the way the nails deeply sink into the flexible surface3. I guess the former is meant and basically it is saying the creature is grotesque.

1 タマ is a typical cat name.

2 you can search 巻き爪 to see what kind of deformation it is.

3 I cannot come up with a good English description for 食い込む...

質問者は「このそっくりは "似ている" はなく "そのまま" の意味ですよね」と聞いていますので、"Your understanding is correct" ではないのでは。多分ですけど「その言葉をそっくりお返しするよ」「そっくり信じ込んでしまった」の「そっくり」の方ですよね、と聞かれているように思います。
    – naruto
    Mar 16 at 3:45
  • What answer should I approve? I mean, naruto's one was first but I didn't expect to get two elaborate answers!? I think naruto's is more accurate, but I need more elaboration... Like, how could そっくり(completely/resembling)の make any sense! I definitely spaced the sentence wrong, or it was, and tumekuikomumaeasi is inverted
    – Star Peep
    Mar 16 at 12:52
  • Oops, Sundowner's answer came first, the page glitched. The entire sentence was translated I've read all about those creatures that seem to dig their claws in their forefeet in a encyclopedia!/I read a picture book about all the creatures that knead with their paws
    – Star Peep
    Mar 16 at 12:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .