enter image description here

Context: This is a box from a video game artwork, where the director describes the creation of the character. Most of it is clear to me, however toward the end I run into this puzzling line:

The line in question

(...) 他キャラが落ち着いているので、その分感情を動かす立ち回りが多いです。フレッシュ担当なので、初だし絶対がっつ いてるよね! と、回数も多く指定させてもらいました(笑)。

Because it has no furigana, I'm not sure about the actual meaning of 初だし . I understand 初出 can mean "first appearance" but also it's possible that it's the meaning "innocent; naive; unsophisticated; inexperienced; green; wet behind the ears" + だ し。

I understand "、回数も多く指定させてもらいました(笑)。" is the director own words: I took the liberty of pointing out many times.

My guess is that he's describing the character's attitude and how he must be, however I'm stuck on what "フレッシュ担当なので、初だし絶対がっついてるよね" could mean.

1 Answer 1

This 初だし is 初【はつ】だ (It's the first time), followed by し as a reason marker. Here, 初 is a no-adjective meaning "first (event/experience)". (初出 is almost always written in kanji.)

The last part is saying something like this (brackets added for clarity):

フレッシュ担当なので、「初だし絶対がっついてるよね!」と、回数も多く指定させてもらいました(笑)。

Since he is in charge of freshness, I thought "It's his first time so he must be really eager!", and took the liberty to make sure he'd get a lot of "turns(/scenes/etc)"!

Note that 回数を多く指定する is not "point out many times" but "specify a large number of times/turns (regarding him)". What 回数 actually refers to seems to be intentionally made vague in this text. You need to infer it from the content or genre of the game.

• h, I ses. Likely it's a joke on how the character is very present in the narrative and keeps being inserted in scenes though the game. Though why isn't 回数も多く an adverb for 指定させて?
    – Kawase_K
    Commented Mar 4 at 19:28
  • @Kawase_K 多く is an adverbial modifier that modifies 指定する. It's similar to たくさん注文する, 本を色々読む, 猫が多くいる, etc.
    – naruto
    Commented Mar 5 at 2:20
  • Just in case, 指定 and 指摘 are different words.
    – naruto
    Commented Mar 5 at 2:29
  • Yes, but said 回数 is not acting as an adverb here? What I mean is 多く is about how he 指定させて right? And not 回数 are 多く?
    – Kawase_K
    Commented Mar 6 at 18:30
  • @Kawase_K 回数 is the direct object of 指定する. "回数を指定する" means "to specify the number of times", and "回数を多く指定する" means "to specify a large number of times". Here, を happens to be replaced with も meaning "also". 多く is an adverb, and its grammar is explained here. There's really nothing different from 本を3冊読む, 本を多く読む, 本を多く注文する, etc.
    – naruto
    Commented Mar 7 at 1:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .