I’ve understand the construction is verb(dictionary form) + ともなく To mean did something unintentionally

But the I’m just a little confused when it comes to interrogative words I know the construction is Interrogative word + particle + ともなく

I am having trouble with these words I want to know what they mean since it seem like they have similar meaning どこからともなく どこへともなく いつからともなく

• Is there something regarding ともなし you wanted to ask?
    – A.Ellett
    Commented Mar 2 at 16:44
  • Yeah just how to use it with interrogative words and what do the words -どこからともなく -どこへともなく -いつからともなく mean
    – Wesley
    Commented Mar 2 at 16:46
  • And is ともなし the same as ともなく
    – Wesley
    Commented Mar 2 at 16:47
  • dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/en/…
    – sundowner
    Commented Mar 2 at 23:12
  • "And is ともなし the same as ともなく" - this point is purely grammatical. This なし is just an older form of ない (still seen in many expressions), and なく is the continuative form. Commented Mar 3 at 18:09

1 Answer 1

ともなく practically adds I-don't-know/nobody-knows/not-particularly.

• どこからともなく - from nobody-knows-where / from nowhere
  • どこへともなく - to nobody-knows-where
  • いつからともなく - since nobody-knows-when / since I-don't-remember-when

Similarly なぜともなく=for no reason etc.

Slightly more grammatically a longer version would be どこからということもない.

First note the construction ...ということもない/ということはない, which means It's not that .... So どこからともない would mean It's not that the thing came from a particular place (as far as I know), where the thing is understood from the context. The ending ともなく makes it adverbial, meaning Not that I know where the thing came from..., for which from nowhere would work in most cases.

As for ともなし, it is used as a nominal phrase as commented. どこからともなく is equivalent to どこからともなしに, どこへともなく to どこへともなしに etc.

You have not described ともなし, which would be classical form of modern ともない, but in modern usage なし remains but as noun, and is used adverbially with に: ともなしに.
    – Arfrever
    Commented Mar 3 at 2:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .