I saw this image:

Enter image description here

This character is at least 20 years old and they refer to themselves as otome. Is this correct or can one be called that?

I'm just curious, but is using 'singular they' so common that it's used in a case like this (the character is by all standards she)?
    – sundowner
    Commented Feb 22 at 23:08
  • It is mostly like 女子 What is the difference between 女子 and 女の人? / 女子 vs 女の子 nuances
    – sundowner
    Commented Feb 22 at 23:09
    @sundowner it's pretty normal. I wouldn't have thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it.
    – Leebo
    Commented Feb 22 at 23:17
    @Leebo - The apparent mismatch in number between "this character" and "20 year olds" caught my eye more than the use of "they." Is it also normal? I didn't take that "they" as gender neutral because of the plural "olds."
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Feb 22 at 23:35
    @sundowner there is a wide range of usage nowadays. Traditionally, "they" only referred to an unknown hypothetical person; now it's commonly used to refer to a known person of unknown gender, or a person who claims a gender outside the traditional binary. Some people went further and started requesting others to refer to them with "they" despite a strong binary gender identification, in solidarity and/or to normalize de-emphasizing the gender of individuals. It's at the point where some younger speakers habitually don't use "he" or "she" etc. at all. Commented Feb 22 at 23:38

1 Answer 1

Like 女の子, it's pretty acceptable for women to call themselves this up to 30ish (though I would assume jokingly, as 乙女 sounds poetic). Here it sounds like she is stressing that she is a young, innocent girl by using 乙女 (like "How dare you burn an innocent girl's chest!").

'up to 30ish' Some people may be furious :)
    – sundowner
    Commented Feb 22 at 23:11
    As a joke it works for any woman above certain age.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Feb 22 at 23:44
  • @jimmy regarding this character does this say anything about this characters age as I assume they are 20? does it mean its wrong? is the context here meant to be a joke? Commented Feb 23 at 2:09
  • @ZainAlleck In this particular scene, I don't think there's any real joke here. Just chastising the other person (a man I assume) for burning a girl (her), which is not very gentleman-like. Localized, I might just translate the scene as "I got burned bad because of you!" "You burned the chest of a maiden! What the hell!"
    – Jimmy
    Commented Feb 23 at 7:58
  • @Jimmy I was wondering does this say anything about her age? I assume she's 20 but does the use of otome mean she is younger? Commented Feb 23 at 21:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .