the exercise is to turn the bold part into sonkeigo (i'm talking about my 社長!! ) I'm confused cause I'm not sure how to change these phrases (and which verb to conjugate over another)

1. 社長が日本に来るそうです。

「社長が日本にいらっしゃるそうです。」? Do i keep the そうです / ようです or does です turn into でいらっしゃる? I'm confused because i think it would be double keigo.

1. 明日は日本の社員に会うことになっています。

It would be お会いになる but then i would have two なる...

1. 週末にはゴルフをするつもりだそうです.

Here I'm lost (なさるつもりだそうです??)

1. 週末、アメリカに帰ると言っていました。

お帰りになるとおっしゃっていました。

Unfortunately my textbook mainly provided a table on how to conjugate simple verbs and not how to deal with indirect speech and whether or not keep そう、よう and です.

1 Answer 1

First note that you don't use sonkeigo when talking to people outside your company about your 社長, which means all the sentences below (your sentences + sonkeigo) are rather of limited use - one possibility I can imagine is: you are secretary and talking to someone significantly senior to you in YOUR company. If you are talking among (normal) colleagues, I don't think people USUALLY use keigo about your shacho really (may depend on how you talk usually though).

Basically your guesses are correct.

1.社長が日本に来るそうです。

1s.社長が日本にいらっしゃるそうです。

You can just turn the real verb part into sonkeigo: (見るそうです→ご覧になるそうです, 来たそうです→いらっしゃったそうです, etc.)

2.明日は日本の社員に会うことになっています。

2s.明日は日本の社員にお会いになることになっています。

Yes, なることになっている sounds clumsy while it's grammatically correct. Maybe different wording like お会いになる予定です is better. (This happens in many cases, you just have to rephrase it.)

3.週末にはゴルフをするつもりだそうです.

3s.週末にはゴルフをなさるつもりだそうです

Practically I think 週末(に)はゴルフの予定だそうです is fine (no issue for keigo because it is practically noun-only). Or 週末にはゴルフをなさるとのことです if you keep some keigo.

(Edit) As commented, you can add お to つもりです. But to me, it sounds 社長 is doing something serious (often negative to the addressee) or the speaker is criticizing. For example, ゴルフをなさるおつもりだそうです sounds He is gonna play golf this weekend!! (which sounds absurd to me the speaker) when the company is in some sort of emergency.

4.週末、アメリカに帰ると言っていました。

4s.週末、アメリカにお帰りになるとおっしゃってました

4s is okay, but 帰国されるとおっしゃってました sounds better. This is another instance of vocabulary choice - not really/exactly a keigo matter.

A secretary might say おつもり.
    – aguijonazo
    Feb 7 at 1:03
  • thank you so much :)) Feb 7 at 18:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .