What is the font used in the JLPT?

This is particularly helpful for the 100,000s of students who write the JLPT every year as different fonts can have wide variation, and as kanji font has been shown to affect learning.

Here are two examples:

typical JLPT reading sample 1 typical JLPT reading sample 2

• 'Used in the JLPT' where? I assume it uses a variety of fonts in different places.
    – sundowner
    Jan 23 at 9:24
  • Can you please give an example? Jan 23 at 12:08
  • @sundowner not the most welcoming eh? assuming doesn't get us very far. also, not sure what that a good answer to that question would mean, or how you think of JLPT locations...
    – arturomp
    Jan 23 at 14:36
    I’m voting to close this question because it is not about the Japanese language.
    – istrasci
    Jan 23 at 16:59
    I don't see anything unwelcoming or unhelpful about sundowner's question. You later provided two different examples with different fonts, and surely there will be more as well (for headers, captions, within images, etc.) So the assumption was accurate, you were asking about multiple fonts in multiple parts of the test without specifying one in particular.
    – Leebo
    Jan 23 at 17:28

1 Answer 1

The first image is 教科書体 (Textbook font)

This is a family of fonts that all follows the same style, just like in English Serif is not a specific font but a series of font whose design follow the same principle. 教科書体 is used, as the name says, in textbooks to mimic the ways characters are written by hand to teach kids proper writing(Although there are still variation between print and writing, which I'm not gonna mention here). Any 教科書体 would give you a similar style.

The second image is 明朝体 (Min dynasty font)

I'm not an expert on the history of fonts, I just recognize them.

You can find a list of commonly seen font styles here:

https://www.vanfu.co.jp/yougo/page.php?w=書体(和文書体)

This 明 is from the Ming dynasty. Curiously, the same style is known in China by the name of another dynasty, Song (宋).
    – aguijonazo
    Jan 23 at 17:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .