I tried to use several language translation websites and they all gave me different results. Some say "家は綺麗じゃないではありません” means 'the house is not clean', but some say "家は綺麗じゃないではありません” means that 'it's not that the house is not clean.' Which would you say is correct? Any help is deeply appreciated.

• Do you mind sharing where you found the sentence?
    – Leebo
    Jan 20 at 0:16
  • It's a sentence that I found in my Japanese notes. I'm not sure about where the source is now. sorry
    – Ruo Su
    Jan 20 at 0:20
  • I'd think what the note meant is ではありません as an alternative to じゃない. Related Negation with ではありません vs. じゃない
    – sundowner
    Jan 20 at 0:35
  • Thank you, I've read the answers to that question but I am trying to see if じゃない  and ではありません can be used together in the same sentence and if they negate each other.
    – Ruo Su
    Jan 20 at 0:59
    The only scene I can imagine where this sentence makes any sense is a mother reproving her child for saying the house is not clean.
    – aguijonazo
    Jan 20 at 2:41

1 Answer 1

The sentence 家は綺麗じゃないではありません is incorrect. You can say 家は綺麗じゃなくはありません (colloquial) or 家は綺麗でなくはありません. Both of them mean the house isn't not clean.

Tho even with the correct structure it doesn't sound very natural (it's not wrong but it seems like an uncommon phrasing). I think most people would say 家汚くはないです

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .