Upon asking "What do you think of that guy?" two characters reply this:

彼優しいよね

And the other character replies

あんなツラしてお節介なのよ

I understand the second reply is akin to "He's a meddler" but what kind of nuance is あんなツラして trying to say? Obviously the character is not presented in the scene, so I suppose he's saying... he has a certain type of face?

She is, from a broader context, using お節介 affectionately I believe, so I don't think he's saying he's ugly.

2 Answers 2

あんな面して means あんな面しているのに/していても though it is almost never written in full (i.e., used as あんな面して). The meaning is quite literal '(even) though [subject] has such a face'='despite the appearance' as mentioned in @Gui Imamura's answer.

It basically implies the person does not look like having the property being mentioned.

• So when we see 面 how do we know which reading to use? I've always just read it as メン whenever it seemed that the meaning was to mean face or mask. つら just never occurs to me. Any suggestions?
    – A.Ellett
    Dec 31, 2023 at 0:55
    @A.Ellett "Improve your vocabullary"... is all I can think of, unfortunately. つら is a common on-yomi for this kanji. When this kanji is used as "めん" it usually means "aspect/side", "plane/surface", "mask/face guard"; and it is rarely used with the meaning of "face" except when a match of 剣道 (kendō) is involved or when using an idiomatic expression like 面が割れる. Dec 31, 2023 at 2:18
  • @GuiImamura Unfortunately, you're probably right. But also, my exposure to Japanese is primarily through reading. So, while I think my vocabulary is decent, I don't necessarily always know which reading to use for a particular kanji, particularly when there are no additional clues such as okurigana or a compound--such as in this example. Most of my Japanese I picked up before the era of the internet. I think familiarity through hearing helps a great deal. So, I try greatly to listen to more and more topics. It's an interesting challenge.
    – A.Ellett
    Dec 31, 2023 at 3:46
  • @A.Ellett As a rough approximation (already mentioned by @GuiImamura), つら is face (vulgar register) and めん is a side/surface of an object. めんが割れる is an idiomatic expression, but つらが割れている sounds ok to me.
    – sundowner
    Dec 31, 2023 at 5:05

despite that face

No, I don't think that's an idiomatic expression.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .