enter image description here enter image description here

それって教師がなんかしてどうにかなるもんなんすかねぇ

What is actually this sentence trying to say? The character is a teacher and he got told starting the second year his students will need more 個々の実力 and he think this

I understand is それって教師がなんかして is akin to "About that, a teacher, somehow...." however what does どうにかなるもんなんすかねぇ mean here?

• This is a contraction. Do you know what it is a contraction of?
    – A.Ellett
    Dec 28, 2023 at 17:50
  • Yes, that is what I'm trying to identify. どうにかなる + もの + なんですか?
    – Kawase_K
    Dec 28, 2023 at 18:45
  • That can still be expanded further: なんですか= なのですか where な is the copula だ as it is used when a modifier.
    – A.Ellett
    Dec 28, 2023 at 19:19

2 Answers 2

If you understand it is どうにかなる + もの + なんですか, you are almost there.

First, なん in なんですか generally does not add (much) meaning.

So you can think about どうにかなるものですか, which can be more or less understood literally, i.e., *is it a thing that (教師がなんかして)どうにかなる.

どうにかなる is ambiguous, but here it means '(things) work out'. See the following question for some more details.

教師がなんかしてどうにかなるもの means literally: a thing that teachers do something about and works out (although you still need to understand subject/object relationship correctly).

Making it a bit more idiomatic, the sentence means is it something teachers can do anything to improve?

もんなんすか is colloquialism for ものなのですか.

So a super-literal translation is "Regarding that, is it that it is (generally) something where a teacher does something and ends up with something?". A smoother translation would be "Is that really something that can be managed by a teacher doing something?"

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .