It seems that expressions like (笑), (大嘘)and (即答)are often added at the end of a sentence to indicate or modify the emotion. Is there a specific term for this phenomenon?

e.g.

A: 俺は休みだけど、友達とライブに行くんだ。それがすごく楽しみでさ!

B: ちょっと羨ましいな(笑)

• @A.Ellett do you have an example of a dictionary that includes a "term for this phenomenon" along with the definition of, say, 大噓? That's just a normal word in its own right, so I don't know that dictionaries are going to comment on its use as an appended modifier.
    – Leebo
    Dec 27, 2023 at 2:27
  • @Leebo I guess I've always understood these words at face value. I've never considered that they might have other connotations. My bad.
    – A.Ellett
    Dec 27, 2023 at 2:30
  • My understanding of the question is that the answer would be something like a linguistic term. Like how "tag question" is the answer to the question "what is the term for the phenomenon of adding "isn't it?" to the end of a sentence." As opposed to something about the meaning of "isn't it". But maybe the questioner can expand on it.
    – Leebo
    Dec 27, 2023 at 2:39
  • @Leebo Yeah, that's exactly what I want to ask:)
    – Sophiefy
    Dec 27, 2023 at 2:41
    Linguistically, expressions like (笑), LoL and *sigh* seem to be types of discourse markers or pragmatic markers, but I could not find anything more specific than this. Or do you just want to know how ordinary people call them in general?
    – naruto
    Dec 27, 2023 at 4:58

1 Answer 1

For (笑), as an interjection, it would be similar to "lol." Or we could consider the character「笑」as reduced to a symbol for laughter. However, (大嘘)and (即答)are nouns in parenthesis. We could consider them as parenthetical phrases such as "His excuse was food poisoning, a big lie."

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .