If I said "ポーランドに住んでいて、学生です。" would that be correct? I'm a beginner and I'm not sure if "sunde ite" sounds right to me

2 Answers 2


Yes, you can. It's perfectly fine to use two te-forms like this. They serve different purposes.

In this specific case, it's actually a little more natural to say ポーランドに住んでいる学生です (using a relative clause) or ポーランドの学生です, but you'll acquire such a sense as you learn.


I don’t think you should see it as a "double て-form."

A verb in its て-form followed by certain other (helper) verbs such as います, あります, 行きます, 来ます, etc. is a common structure in Japanese. When you use this in various grammatical functions, you change the form of the second verb. The second て-form here is just one such inflection.

It’s probably more natural to say 学生で、ポーランドに住んでいます to put your status first, though.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .