I exchanged messages recently with someone I met from Japan, and I noticed that he often uses ; ; during our conversation. I assumed it was some kind of emoji but I’m not sure what it is. I tried looking for answers in Google but didn’t find anything. Can anyone tell me what it is?

2 Answers 2

This may be difficult to search, but this is a type of Japanese "smiley" (or 顔文字) for a face with tears. Imagine something like this:

enter image description here

The longer version is (;;) or (;_;) representing a face with two eyes and two teardrops with or without lips, or simply a crying face. The parentheses represent the outline of a face but can be omitted in especially casual text messages.

Similarly (^^) -- "face with smiling eyes" -- can be shortened ^^.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaomoji

The emphasis on the eyes in this style is reflected in the common usage of emoticons that use only the eyes, e.g. ^^

Semicolons in general are rarely used in Japanese. I think the most likely place you encounter them used as, well, semilocons, would be text translated from a European language into Japanese. Even then translators may choose to omit ot replace them rather than preserving them.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .