I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to say "my friends are online now" or "I'm online right now".

So far, I have considered:

• ネットでいます。
  • オンラインです。

For instance:

私は今ネットでいます。

友達はオンラインです。

However, I feel I'm missing something here. Is there any idiomatic expression I'm not aware of, or I am just overthinking it?

2 Answers 2

オンラインです is perfectly correct and natural. On the other hand, ネットでいます is ungrammatical. Remember that the particle you use with いる/ある is に, not で. ネットにいます is correct, but this is much less idiomatic than オンラインです.

And note that:

• 'Friend' in contexts related to SNS or gaming is typically translated as フレンド rather than 友達.
  • Please consider whether what you actually want is a UI indicator like "Friends: Online" or a full sentence like "Your friends are online." If you want the former, "フレンド: オンライン" will suffice, and a full sentence containing です would be redundant.
  • thank you so much~!
    – Zoe
    Nov 30, 2023 at 2:06

Naruto answered pretty well, I just thought I'd add that on social media and whatnot it usually says 「オンライン中」to say they a user is currently online. I'm not sure how great this works in a full sentence, but it's good to be aware of.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .