Solving some N1-Goi questions I run up to this one.

暑さを「凌ぐ」ために、多くの人が都会を離れて山や海で過ごしている。

1. つのる
  2. ふせぐ
  3. いのる
  4. ふさぐ

I was pretty sure it was the second one 2) ふせぐ" but the solutions provided say its 1)つのる. I don't get it. xD

Can anyone clarify? Maybe I am missing some detail in the nuance of the sentence :P

The link can be found here: https://japanesetest4you.com/japanese-language-proficiency-test-jlpt-n1-vocabulary-exercise-16/

None of the four seems very close to 凌ぐ, but if I must choose one, I would choose 2. I don't think this is a good question, so you can ignore this one.
    – naruto
    Nov 29, 2023 at 17:17
    @naruto and OP, why would you think it's ふせぐ? I understand that verb to mean "to block; to prevent". In the context of the sample sentence, I understand 凌【しの】ぐ to mean "to bear; to get through a difficulty". The "get through" sense is almost the opposite of "to block"; besides which, one doesn't prevent the heat of summer by going to the mountains or the beach, one just avoids it. 😄 For that matter, none of these seem fitting options -- I'd expect たえる or こらえる as synonyms, maybe 避【さ】ける or 逃【に】げる (not synonyms, but still fitting the context). Any chance the answer key is wrong? Nov 29, 2023 at 21:50
    @EiríkrÚtlendi Looking at the link, it says closest in meaning, so it may be that the intention of the problem is not necessarily synonyms. Or it may be simply a bad question.
    – sundowner
    Nov 29, 2023 at 23:07
    indeed, we are not looking for an exact synonym, but a word that could possibly fit in the place of 凌ぐ... Chances are this is simply a bad question though.
    – 悪戯猫
    Nov 29, 2023 at 23:43
    @EiríkrÚtlendi I wouldn't say 防ぐ and 凌ぐ are similar, but they do share a common point of "dealing with undesirable things". On the other hand, 暑さを募る/塞ぐ make almost no sense regardless of the context.
    – naruto
    Nov 30, 2023 at 4:10

Browse other questions tagged .