In the first lesson of みんなの日本語初級II (lesson 26), the word 片【かた】づきます shows up as "be put in order, tidy up." I looked in a couple of dictionaries, and can only find 片【かた】付【づ】けます, which has the same definition.

Does the book have a typo, and is 片付けます the right spelling?

What dictionaries did you check? Should be in any dictionary as 片付く (unconjugated form). Most dictionaries will find it even if you search in ます form though.
    – Leebo
    Commented Nov 28, 2023 at 2:12
    Other similar pairs include: 続く/続ける, 並ぶ/並べる, 届く/届ける, (and of course, 付く/付ける).
    – sundowner
    Commented Nov 28, 2023 at 2:24
  • The main one I use is jisho.org, @Leebo, and I just realized either I did something wrong while searching earlier, or their search is not parsing my request properly. My previous search was for 片付きる (erroneous conjugation, I now see), which gives me nothing. Then I tried 片付る which gave me 片付ける. But I just now re-tried the original search but in kana, and かたづきる does take me to the right word... :\
    – JNat
    Commented Nov 28, 2023 at 10:16
  • @JNat 片付る is an irregular spelling, it should be either 片付ける or 片づける. Also, it's a good idea to get accustomed early on to dictionary forms (片付ける/片付く) as opposed to conjugated forms ( 片付けます/片付きます), because having attached ます sometimes obfuscates conjugations and verb groups and you don't want that when learning how conjugations work.
    – jarmanso7
    Commented Nov 28, 2023 at 10:34
    Appreciate the tip, @jarmanso7! When I learn new stuff on WaniKani it does give me the dictionary form, and whatever I add manually to Anki is also in that form — I just search sometimes using ます because みんなの日本語 has the vocab in that format.
    – JNat
    Commented Nov 28, 2023 at 16:31

1 Answer 1

Is 片付きます a word?

Yes.

Does the book have a typo, and is 片付けます the right spelling?

No.

片付{かたづ}けます and 片付{かたづ}きます are two different but complementary words with the same basic meaning. One of them, 片付{かたづ}けます is transitive and the other one, 片付{かたづ}きます, is intransitive. This difference is sometimes highlighted in bilingual dictionaries by using a passive English voice:

• 片付{かたづ}けます: "to put in order, to tidy up"
  • 片{かた}づきます: "to be put in order, to be tidied up"

Compare the difference in usage. For transitive verbs, there's an agent doing the action and the object takes the particle を:

弟が部屋片付{かたづ}けます。My younger brother puts his room in order.

On the contrary, there's no external agent for intransitive verbs, and there's no object either, so we use them with the particle が:

私の部屋片付{かたづ}いていません。 My room is not put in order. (literally, not tidied up).

On a side note, I think that between both words, the transitive version 片付{かたづ}けます is the one used more frequently. For the intransitive version, it's difficult for me to find a natural example sentence that doesn't use the negative, progressive tense, to indicate that the room is an untidy state.

For the intransitive version, it's difficult for me to find... 引っ越しの後で「やっと片付いたわ~」とか
    – chocolate
    Commented Nov 27, 2023 at 23:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .