In a script I'm translating, Character A is telling Character B how Character C isn't afraid of performing difficult stunts. A proceeds to say:

……多少は危ないことに危機感を持ってほしいというか、あの無謀さは少々どうかと思う時もあるが——

I have a couple of questions about the grammar.

First, the というか. I'm not sure how the か fits in this sentence. My first guess is that A is paraphrasing what B said. Something like "He said something about..."

Second, is どうか, When I look it up, I get nothing that would make sense in this context. Am I forgetting something that would fit here?

1 Answer 1

• というか is almost a word on its own, and it often has very little substantial meaning. In this case, it's used like "or rather", "or maybe" or "I mean". A is trying to paraphrase what A just said. See the second usage in my answer here: What is the role of というか at the beginning of sentence?
  • どうかと思う means "(I) wonder how (it is)" or "it makes me wonder (what I can say about it)", but it should be memorized as a set phrase that euphemistically suggests someone/something is questionable. See this dictionary entry.

……多少は危ないことに危機感を持ってほしいというか、あの無謀さは少々どうかと思う時もあるが——

...I do wish [C] had some sense of danger about risky things, I mean, there are times when I think that recklessness [of C] is a bit too much...

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .