I know that there are many differences between male and female speech, but my question is about plain form. Women use prefixes o- and go- more often than men. Is it true also in plain form?

For example, sometimes men say 肉 in colloquial speech, but can also women say 肉, or do they have to use お肉?

1 Answer 1

Whether to use お/ご, choosing between the plain/polite distinction (だ vs です), and so-called male/female speech are three distinct concepts, while they are loosely related. While it's true that those who tend to use feminine language also often use お/ご, it is not a rule.

There is a considerable misunderstanding among learners, but the so-called "women's language" or "men's language" in Japanese are just two of many role-based language styles. Please remember that Japanese is a language where 5 different members of a family (at least in fiction) may have 5 different ways of saying "I'm hungry". There is no rule that dictates "all women must speak in this way". The choice between 肉 and お肉 is like the choice between child and kid in English; it has little to do with the speaker's gender. Rather, it relates to how formal or friendly the speaker needs to be.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .