I was scrolling the Kanji Unicodes and spotted three box-like characters.

I'm well aware that is the katakana ro, as for which the other two are, I'm not sure.

Among the three (katakana), (kanji), (kanji), what is which Kanji, and how do they differ in writing?

enter image description here

(For people without support for these characters, here is a an image of how these characters look like)

as for which of the other the moon is Did you mean "mouth"? "Moon" is 月 and could not possibly be confused for any of these.
    – istrasci
    Commented Oct 11, 2023 at 15:18
  • @istrasci changed the original question
    – Someone
    Commented Oct 12, 2023 at 13:18

1 Answer 1

From the same order you wrote: ロ is the katakana ro, as you said. The second one is the kanji for mouth (口) and the last one is the 31th kangxi radical also known as enclosure radical. There are 214 radicals and most of them are very important to understand how kanjis work. If you search in the link you provided through CTRL + F, when you insert the mouth kanji, you're going to see the next kanjis are related to mouth, like 古, which means "old" and it's made of 十 (ten) and 口 (mouth). Ten means "a lot" in this case, like "many people" and "mouth" means the message transmitted over the years¹. If you do the same thing with the enclosure radical (囗) you might find some examples of things enclosed, like 囚 (prisoner), which is self-explanatory: a person enclosed. I provided two links above for the kanji etymology but I also used a kanji etymology book but it's written in another language, so it's not useful to mention it here. Just for your information, there are many kanjis that changed a lot over the years, so sometimes you'll see an element inside a kanji, like the mouth kanji, but it has nothing to do with mouth, like 西 (west).

As for the stroke order, I think they're all the same. That's why depending on the font of your computer/browser, they will look the same.

Probably because of some technical reasons that I don't know, the links of the kanjis are not working in the YellowBridge dictionary. You should manually input those characters in the Word tab in the Chinese to English input field, and after that, the Etymology tab will be available.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .