I found that the expression verb + "wo yaritai to omoimasu" means "I think I want to do" + verb, which makes sense to me.

However, I am not sure about the similar expression verb + "wo ikitai to omoimasu". "To omoimasu" is "I think", "-tai" tells me "I want", but "iku" is "to go". Is this giving some sense of future like the English expression "going to", or what?

When I tried to guess the meaning, assuming that it was like the English "going to", I got:

"I think I want to + "going to"

But I don't know how to translate it correctly. What is the meaning of the expression, is it "I think I'm going to do something"? Is it "I think I want to do something?" or is it something else?

What's the exact translation of the expression verb + "ikitai to omoimasu"?

Can you provide some examples of what you're referring to or links to pages discussing it? I'm having a hard time imagining something like what you're describing.
    – Leebo
    Sep 20 at 22:49
  • You really saw verb + を行く, not noun + を行く? The particle を does not take a verb outside some rare archaic constructions. 行く has many usages, some of which do take を. Anyway, your question is too generalized to provide a concise answer. Please share a specific example sentence.
    – naruto
    Sep 21 at 1:58
  • Or perhaps you saw the base word of a サ変 verb (which is a noun by the way) and then を行いたい, with the word there being おこなう?
    – Angelos
    Sep 21 at 8:58

1 Answer 1

About the syntax

If you want to combine any given verb with [行]{i}き{ki}た{ta}い{i} (or [行]{i}く{ku}, for that matter), you should:

1. Use the so-called masu stem (or more appropiately [連]{ren}[用]{you}[形]{kei}) of the verb. For example, for the verb [食]{ta}べ{be}る{ru}:

[食]{ta}べ{be}る{ru} → [食]{ta}べ{be}ま{ma}す{su} → [食]{ta}べ{be}ます → [食]{ta}べ{be}

1. Use the particle に{ni}, not the particle を{wo}:

[ラー]{raa}メ{me}ン{n} を{wo} [食]{ta}べ{be} に{ni} [行]{i}き{ki}た{ta}い{i}。 [I] want to go eat ramen.

Note that in the example sentence, the particle を{wo} is not joining [食]{ta}べ{be} and [行]{i}き{ki}た{ta}い{i}, but it is still necessary to join [ラー]{raa}メ{me}ン{n} and [食]{ta}べ{be}. The important particle to join [食]{ta}べ{be} and [行]{i}き{ki}た{ta}い{i} is the particle に{ni}.

Finally, と{to} [思]{omo}い{i}ま{ma}す{su} adds the meaning "[I] think":

[ラー]{raa}メ{me}ン{n} を{wo} [食]{ta}べ{be} に{ni} [行]{i}き{ki}た{ta}い{i} と{to} [思]{omo}い{i}ま{ma}す{su}。 [I] think [I] want to go eat ramen.

About the meaning

The meaning of the expression ~ + に{ni} [行]{i}き{ki}た{ta}い{i} と{to} [思]{omo}い{i}ま{ma}す{su} is "I think I want to do ~". Although ~ + に{ni} [行]{i}き{ki}た{ta}い{i} formally resembles the expression "going to" in English, it doesn't add any sense of future.

A note on "Verb + を{wo}"

As others have pointed out in the comments section, the construction Verb + を{wo} is not possible in general. Please clarify if you indeed were asking specifically about Verb + を{wo}, or if on the contrary, the first part of this post answers your question.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .