I was reading the book "刺青殺人事件" and came across this section:

しかし、そういう標本のどれにもまして、この一室を訪れて来る人々の注意を完全に奪ってしまうものは、壁を埋めてかかげられた刺青人皮のほかにはない。 それは奇妙なアラベスク、刺青師、この芸術の愛好者との魂を、死後にとどめた曼陀羅図。

I initially interpreted this as "...the mandala that keeps the soul of the tattooist and the fanatics of this artform posthumously", but I then wondered that if that was the case, why wasn't it written like "刺青師とこの芸術の愛好者の魂を..." instead. After researching for a bit I still don't get what it means, and I guess staring at this sentence for more than 15 minutes is messing with my head, because now I am starting to wonder why the first part "arabesque" don't feel connected to the "mandala" at the end.

1 Answer 1

As I put in the comment, と for listing things is used originally as 'AとBと' although nowadays it appears usually as 'AとB'.

The last sentence has the structure それは奇妙なアラベスク、(刺青師と、この芸術の愛好者との魂を、死後にとどめた)曼陀羅図, where (刺青師...とどめた) is a relative clause modifying 曼陀羅図. The 、 after アラベスク expresses the listing here. Verbosely, it could be written as それは奇妙なアラベスクであり、刺青師と、この芸術の愛好者との魂を、死後にとどめた曼陀羅図である.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .