My question is focused particularly on verbs ending in て form nominalised with の and adverbs ending in く also nominalised with の:

かねての instead of かねる

近くの instead of 近くある/近い

My understanding of nouns (no-adjectives) made from the て form of verbs is that they mean "after-having-done" as noun qualifier. For example, 兼ねる means "to do two things at the same time", so 兼ねて/予て would mean "after doing/having done something at the same time".

I think this is similar to how な is used for nouns. (Original meaning: I thought the function of の was similar to な.)

On the other hand, I don't understand the need for くの. I know that words such as 近く are used as nouns, and I also understand that 近い can't be used at the beginning of a sentence, as discussed in this goo article (the reason why I talked about relational nouns was because 1. One of the answers for the question found in the goo article talked about の nominalised nouns usually having a trait of range in them, like long to short, etc. However, I am not sure nor do I think that relational nouns are the proper word to describe them) However, why not simply using 近い directly attached to a noun instead of 近くの? Why does 近い need to become 近く?

In short, why do some verbs or adjectives have and need their noun forms that come from their continuative form (て) or adverbial form (く)? Why do they need to become relational nouns?

• What "goo article" are you talking about? I'm not aware of any restriction on putting 近【ちか】い at the start of a sentence, like 「近【ちか】い所【ところ】は便利【べんり】です」 ("nearby places are convenient"). Aug 28, 2023 at 16:47
  • oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/2848163.html
    – Star Peep
    Aug 28, 2023 at 17:23
  • Could you add the question in your native language, besides English?
    – jarmanso7
    Aug 28, 2023 at 22:20
    I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but I suppose the following may help japanese.stackexchange.com/q/89159/45489 japanese.stackexchange.com/q/83691/45489 In short, there are a number of ways to make a noun form of a word, 連用形の名詞化 (nominalization of masu/te stem) is one of them, and it's a word-by-word matter whether a word admits the tyep of nominalization.
    – sundowner
    Aug 28, 2023 at 23:29
    Just as the English word adjective is a noun even though it looks like an adjective, 近く is now a full-fledged noun even though it looks like a form of an i-adjective. You have to remember such exceptions.
    – naruto
    Aug 29, 2023 at 0:34

Browse other questions tagged .