In SAO Progressive (2nd movie), Asuna and Kirito are arguing, and Kirito asks Argo to weigh in. Argo responds "犬{いぬ}も食{く}わない物{もの}に関{かか}わる気{き}はないよ~", which is officially translated as "Don't pull me into your couple's quarrel." And then Kirito and Asuna, in tandem, react stunned/indignant seemingly at being called a "couple" (asuna says "へーッ?!" [translated as "Huh?"], and kirito says "いぬ?!" [which gets translated as "Couple?"]).

Clip: https://i.imgur.com/sGvYSbf.mp4

Couple's Quarrel image Indignant to being called couple

But here's the thing: the actual phrase doesn't seem to be coded to references couples in particular to me. To also throw a weird wrench into the mix, jisho.org says that it simply refers to something that everyone would avoid/dislike, but then goes on to use, as an example, a lover's spat.

So I'm wondering: is a lover's spat something that's strongly coded into/implied by the expression, or can it be used much more widely, and doesn't particularly imply a lover's spat?

1 Answer 1

Some monolingual dictionaries (e.g. 三省堂国語辞典 第八版) list 夫婦げんかは犬も食わない as an idiom, and this is where 犬も食わない is used almost exclusively other than about foods.

Apparently, jisho.org also has that phrase as well ( jisho.org/search/… ). But all that showed up for me was the second part. Thanks!
    – chausies
    Commented Aug 2, 2023 at 12:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .