What is the resulting pitch accent when one appends ~ざる to 平板 (する, 言う, 寝る) and 起伏 (来る, 持つ, 食べる) verbs?

Intuitively, I would have assumed that the resulting word falls in the same class (平板/起伏) as the simplex, but not only do I come across both pitches for e.g. 行かざる on Youglish, I was also corrected by a native speaker when I said 振らざる{LHHH} instead of 振らざる{LHHL}.

1 Answer 1

-ざる always turns the word into nakatakagata. [○ざる]{LHL}, [○○ざる]{LHHL}, [○○○ざる]{LHHHL}, etc. This even applies to atamadaka verbs such as [持つ]{HL} (→[もたざる]{LHHL}) and [見る]{HL} (→[みざる]{LHL}).

Some suffixes force a certain accent type. For another example, -型 always heibanifies the original word.

• I see we have [ある]{HL}, and the -ざる ending is a contraction of -ず + ある. Is the resulting [○○ざる]{LHHL} etc. pattern due to the underlying [ある]{HL} pitch pattern? Jun 29, 2023 at 23:41
    @EiríkrÚtlendi Sorry, I know nothing about old accents.
    – naruto
    Jun 29, 2023 at 23:46
    @EiríkrÚtlendi - Not sure if this means anything, but ある is [ある]{LH} in Kansai-ben but I think ざる is always [ざる]{HL}. The part before it can be all high or all low, though.
    – aguijonazo
    Jun 30, 2023 at 5:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .