I found the below sign in a tweet about the new ordering system at Saizeriya. What puzzled me is the text on the sign at the bottom-left:

右側のイスにずれて、順番にお待ち下さい。
Please wait in line by ???ing at the chair to the right.

Ignoring the poor English translation, what is the intended meaning of ずれる? Looking it up in a monolingual dictionary, I only see the meanings I know, which refer to being displaced from an intended position (with nuances of being wrongly in that new position).

What, then, does the sign mean by イスにずれて?

Image of a sign at Saizeriya

1 Answer 1

The sign is asking you to "slide" or move along to the chair to your right as you move forward in the line.

• I can see that this clearly corresponds to 元あったところから、少しすべり動いて移る. But would you say that you can use the verb without the implication in the second part of the definition: 基準の位置に合わない状態になる?
    – jogloran
    Commented Jun 26, 2023 at 5:05
    @jogloran - Basically yes, but I feel a slight connotation of vacating the original place for the next (rightful) occupant.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Jun 26, 2023 at 5:25
    @jogloran - I didn’t think it was strange at all, but some people seem to think this usage of ずれる as a volitional action verb itself (with any connotations) is weird. See this. I agree おずれになる is wrong but 右にずれて seems OK. It may be dialectal. 右に詰めて does sound more formal.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Jun 26, 2023 at 10:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .