Reading a manga and it says まだ跡継ぎとしては幼い弟———私を護ってくれる姉上のことだ Here's the image. It's the first page of the manga and introducing the story. I'm reading it but its meaning is not exactly clear, and machine translators seem to be having a brainfart.

enter image description here

Am I correct in reading the meaning of the sentence as meaning: This is the story of my older sister... who still treats me like her young successor. ?

Have you looked up the word? It even has 「まも」 in the ruby, so you wouldn't even have to guess the reading.
    – Jimmy
    Jun 25, 2023 at 1:05
    "I'm reading it but its meaning is not exactly clear" - where exactly are you confused? What parts do you understand, and where does e.g. the grammar fall apart for you? Jun 25, 2023 at 5:59
  • My bad on misreading it. I would delete the post in light of this blunder (as it probably derails the question in the first place since my misunderstanding was premised on an incorrect reading) but I'm not allowed to. @KarlKnechtel I interpret the clause before the dash to be "A young brother as an heir" and after the dash to be "[it's] about aneue who protects me" but I don't understand the interaction between them - why it's supposed to mean what it means overall. It appears to me(now) to be "It's about my older sister who protects me - [who is] still a younger brother as an heir." Jun 25, 2023 at 17:06

1 Answer 1

I think 持ってくれる is closer in meaning to "To be in charge of" or "To take care of" in this context.

I also feel that he isn't "her successor" but "a successor" since として means something close to "As a" so it's "As an heir...", that however doesn't really translate well into English so I would translate it into "... despite being the heir (to something important)".

That is to say that the sentence should be translated as:

"This is about (the story of) my older sister coddling (pampering\taking care of) me like I'm still her baby brother despite being the heir"

And I might consider replacing "my older sister coddling" with "...how my older sister coddles me..." as it better conveys the meaning but isn't as literal.

Edit: Just noticed that the image says "護って..." and not ”持って" so it's actually about how she acts as his bodyguard and treating him like her baby brother despite him being the heir (and at least in his opinion - not a baby anymore). Thus, I'd revise my translation to:

"This is about (the story of) my older sister guarding me like I'm still her baby brother (which I believe I'm not) despite being the heir"

Hope this helps!

treating him like her baby brother despite him being the heir (and at least in his opinion - not a baby anymore <-- 「自分は、後継ぎとしてはまだ幼な過ぎるので、姉が守ってくれている」、ってことです。"It's about my older sister, who guards her little brother (=me), who is too young to be a successor" って意味です。姉が自分を子ども扱いしているとか、自分が自分を幼いと思っていないとかいうことではないです。
    – chocolate
    Jun 25, 2023 at 15:05
  • @Chocolate Are you rebutting the answer? I'm not sure what you're saying Jun 25, 2023 at 17:08
  • @フィラシマカロト Actually, yes, I am saying the following part of the interpretation/translation in this answer is not correct: treating him like her baby brother despite him being the heir (and at least in his opinion - not a baby anymore, like I'm still her baby brother (which I believe I'm not)
    – chocolate
    Jun 25, 2023 at 23:54
  • and you would say a more accurate translation is, " "It's about my older sister, who guards her little brother (=me), who is too young to be a successor " ? Jun 26, 2023 at 2:23
  • Upon reading @Chocolate comment I have to agree with him. Jun 26, 2023 at 13:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .