Whether or not verbs take a direct object as a complement. (Intransitive verbs do not take a direct object, whereas transitive verbs do.) In Japanese, these objects are typically marked with the accusative case marker を.

Intransitive verbs are called 自動詞 and transitive verbs are called 他動詞 in Japanese.

See also

history | show excerpt | excerpt history