New answers tagged


It’s hard for me to translate 案外役に立つ事がコロッと転がってたりする into Japanese, but I take it in the meaning of “You’ll find something lying before you just casually, which turns out to be helpful to you later in an unexpected way. コロッと is a colloquial variation of コロリと. コロリ is an onomatopoeia or ideo-phone to describe the status of something / someone dropping, falling, ...


This コロッと isn't really describing the quality of the thing itself, I mean, it is, but much more reflecting the speaker's impression or observation. In your example, 転がっている alone can fully depict the situation, "it's lying on the ground". The remainder, コロッと and ~たりする both represent the speaker's mood. コロッと implies (of course not round or rolling-ness here) ...


That 「と」 must be written in hiragana because it is a particle. You have no choice here. The 「と」 turns the preceding word 「コロッ」 into an adverb form so that it can modify the verb phrase 「[転]{ころ}がってたりする」. 「ころっ/コロッ」 is a colloquial and onomatopoeic "word"; therefore, it is not very important whether you write it in hiragana or katakana. You have a choice ...


There's no causal link between the two sentences. It just simply says, "He hasn't studied English; he can't even read the alphabet." There's no particular reason to assume an inability to speak English would entail a lack of knowledge about the alphabet.


It's the continuative form (連用形) of i-adjectives (形容詞). It's the same as the て形 in this case. It is just that in formal writing the rule is to use 連用形 instead of て形.


This is actually a masculine-ish way to say 'there's no need, is there?' It's the product of two phenomena: First, it's common to ask questions you expect a 'yes' answer to with some sort of negation marker (different negator choices create different connotations); when you expect a 'no' answer, you do the same thing to a negative verb. Thus: Expected ...


It's colloquialism of 買う必要なくない?, which is double negation ("Isn't it needless to buy?"). The former ない has conjugated to the adverbial form なく to modify the latter ない.


What you're seeing in these sentences is most likely omission. The full sentence would be: ミトが要らないなら買う必要なくなる Click here for a more detailed explanation of this form EDIT: なくない didn't come into mind when I was answering, but thinking about it now I believe it's more likely than なくなる(although I have seen such omissions before).


Keep in mind that Japanese "adjectives" function differently from English adjectives. You are in this case asking us about a い-adjective, 赤い. Those adjectives differ from the な-adjectives, for example 有名{ゆうめい}な: The い or な is attached to those adjectives when used as epithets, i.e. they are attached to a noun: 有名な人、赤いリンゴ. な-adjectives are used with ...

Top 50 recent answers are included