Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When dining at Yoshinoya I never know how to ask for the size meal I want.

Their sizes are 並, 大, and 特.

I only know that "大" means big, but it also has two readings so I have no idea whether to ask for "dai" or "ooki". And since the word/character I know for "small" is not included, I assume they are using a similar gimmick to that seen in Western chains where there is no small but only "regular", "medium", "large"... sometimes up to the infamous "venti" (-:

Then again maybe there are various ways of writing "small".

So are these standard words or gimmicky like "venti", what do they mean literally, how do I know which reading to use for each, how would I say them in an order? Are these same sizes used just about everywhere in Japanese restaurants or are there some other terms I should also know?

share|improve this question
I don't think "small" applies unless you're ordering from a kids' menu. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 13 '11 at 4:56
Usually (but certainly not always) I find Japanese portions smaller than the sizes I'm used to in Australia, where at least in McDonalds, "small" is still used as a size, and not just on the kids menu. – hippietrail Jun 13 '11 at 4:58
That sounds more like glocalization more than anything else; I'm sure you'd find portions in the US quite large, even in a McDonalds. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 13 '11 at 5:00
Yes American portions are bigger than Australian portions, and European portions are smaller than Australians also. But McDonalds portion sizes seem to be standardized. American McDonalds might have extra portion sizes above what they have in some other countries though, a least for drinks if I recall correctly. – hippietrail Jun 13 '11 at 5:05
Yeah, don't ever ask for a "large" soda in the US unless you're ready to put down a bucket... – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 13 '11 at 5:07
up vote 13 down vote accepted

Although 並(nami), 大(dai) will works on most of the place, but others would depend on each restaurants.

  • For Small - 小 (shou), ミニ (mini), 半分(hanbun), 少なめ (sukuname), S (エス) ...

  • For Normal - 並 (nami), 普通(ふつう), 中(chuu), M (エム)...

  • For Big - 大 (dai), 大盛り (oomori), 多め (oome), L (エル)...

    • For Special Big - 1.5盛 (ittengo mori) (sukiya invented it)
  • For extra Big - 特盛 (tokumori), 特大(tokudai), ...

  • For extreme Big - 鬼盛 (onimori), (超)巨大盛 (chou kyodai mori), バカ盛り (baka mori), 激盛り (geki mori), メガ盛り (Mega mori), ....

share|improve this answer
Don't forget 鬼盛り, which I see sometimes. :) – deceze Jun 13 '11 at 5:02
@deceze, thanks, added :D – YOU Jun 13 '11 at 5:05
Nice and exhaustive answer! Now we need something similar for drink sizes ;-) – Dave Jun 13 '11 at 8:23
and 2枚盛り for うなぎ – jbcreix Sep 6 '11 at 14:46
It seems that, in a ramen shop called 二郎ラーメン, people say 増し or 増し増し for extra vegetable topping. – user458 Dec 19 '11 at 7:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.