Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came a cross the expression かげぐち【陰口】(backbiting) and found it in my dictionary as follows

人の陰口をきく[たたく]|[speak ill of a person / run a person down] behind his back / backbite

When I tried to look up the meaning of きく the only transitive verbs that seem possible are 聞く& 聴く. However these relate to listening or at best "asking" which does not seem to be quite same thing.

Should I just accept such expressions as idioms? Even if that is the correct course it seems odd that the entry for 聞く does not mention this use.

share|improve this question
Actually, it's not 聞く(listen). Try "口を利く". –  Sindry Jan 14 '13 at 5:32
Found it. Thanks. (For some reason when I looked at this before I could only find intransitive uses of 利く.) If you make an answer I'll give you credit. –  Tim Jan 14 '13 at 5:49

For posterity's sake, here's a direct link to a native definition of 口を利く。 kotobank.jp/word/%E5%8F%A3%E3%82%92%E5%88%A9%E3%81%8F –  b-wilson Jan 16 '13 at 3:53

theres that 陰 kanji again :/ –  yadokari Feb 19 '13 at 4:37

@yadokari We all have a 陰 following us around... –  snailboat Feb 19 '13 at 5:40

1 Answer 1

As per meta, I shamelessly take Sindry's comment and make it an answer.

My dictionary (gjiten) says 口を利く means "to speak, to utter, to mediate".

The same dictionary says 利く is intransitive, so it is probably an idiom.

口を利く in another dictionary.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.