Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can somebody explain the purpose of ぉ character in the end of the following sentence?

What part of speech can be assigned to ぉ ?

Can the ending の be glued up with ぉ?

アドビにうまいことやられたのぉ

share|improve this question
The のぉ is what we normally write as 「のう」(終助詞/sentence ending particle) which is the archaic version of ねえ. I think it's normally used by older people. dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/228131/m3u/… –  Choko Jan 11 '13 at 15:25
Another link for 「のう」: 大辞林's entry for のう –  snailboat Jan 11 '13 at 15:31

Oops.. I tried to paste this link.. まちがえたぁ ヽ(;´Д`)ノ  dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/171200/m1u/%E3%81%AE%E3%81%86 –  Choko Jan 11 '13 at 15:36
@Chocolate Answers are for answers! –  Troyen Jan 12 '13 at 1:35

@Troyen あれれ。ごめ~!!>▽< –  Choko Jan 12 '13 at 13:23

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

It seems to just be an emphatic, stylistic lengthening of the preceding it.

share|improve this answer

The のぉ is what we normally write as 「のう」, one of the sentence ending particles (終助詞). I think it sounds rather archaic, now we think it's only used by older people (but I doubt it's actually used daily anymore... I think we only see it in books, anime or manga...), and younger people don't use it in "normal" conversation. I think it's probably the archaic equivalent for ね/ねえ/ねぇ or maybe な/なあ.
It has a different intonation from the sentence ending particle . Here're my voice recordings ^^
「のう」・・・「やられた↗のう↘。(The subject is probably the hearer.)」
「の」・・・「どうした↘の~↗?(The subject is the hearer.)」--「やられた↘の~↘。(The subject is the speaker.)」

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.