Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The expression いったい (ittai), as in

君はいったい何がほしいの

I translated as "What on earth do you want?" with the help of good ol' GT.

1) Is that correct?

2) Is the expression いったい which GT translated as "on earth" considered a "rude" expression?

share|improve this question
I suggest looking up いったい rather than はいったい. –  snailboat Jan 8 '13 at 23:05

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

いったい is not rude unless you make it rude. It has no inherent rudeness within it, but because it carries a fairly strong notion that one doesn't know what's going on, it can be seen as rude if you direct it at someone to express frustration. Like you say, I always liken it to the English phrase "on Earth," as in "What on Earth are you doing here?" This sentence could be read in a friendly way or a rude way, depending on context, intonation, etc. But I don't think it's inherently rude, but rather strong feelings of puzzlement are often used in rude ways.

A more neutral usage in Japanese would be like, for example, you heard a loud banging sound outside your house/door/wherever, and you said いったい何が起きたんだろう? which I would translate as "I (am strongly perplexed and) wonder what on Earth happened?"

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.