Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm going for a word-for-word translation of (miss) understood (you can hear the song here, but I'm having trouble with the verse:

今さらきれい事だなんて

聞くつもりも言うつもりもない

痛みは増える一方だろう

ならば受け止めて行くまでさ

Basically what I got out of google translate was

Beautiful words I too late

Not even going to say going to hear

While the pain will increase

Sa to take if we

Which I reworked, with help from JpopAsia to (I have trouble with Japanese characters, so I am using transliteration right now)

Imasara (too late) kirei gotoda (beautiful words) nante (for me)

Kiku (listen) tsumori (going to) mo iu (a.k.a.)

tsumori (going to) mo nai (not)

Itami (pain) wa fueru (increase)

i-ippou (on the other hand) darou (would be)

Nara ba (if) uketomete (accept)

iku (go) made (to) sa (sa=emphasis)

I get the meaning of every sentence except the last one. It is something like this right now:

If accept, go to !!

But I don't understand what "go to" (followed by sa for emphasis) could mean in this context.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

ならば~ = In which case, ~.

This use of いく following the te-form is explained in this question.

And as for ~まで, its nuance of "up to (a point)" is still present in this usage, Vするまでだ, meaning "(I will do / I need to do) up to V (and nothing at all further).", which in this case can be interpreted as "It's merely a matter of V'ing."

It is also seen after other tenses like the past-tense, Vしたまでだ, meaning "(I did) up to V (and nothing at all further)", i.e. "All I did was V / I merely V'ed."

君が来てほしいというから来たまでだ. I just came because you asked me to.

I think this is about the right amount of detail for an answer (which I wrote in case other people would find it helpful). I can't provide more without considering this as a "translation question".

Also, to be clear, you misunderstand many other things here; I would say that your breakdown shows that you do not understand any of the sentences. This approach of relying on Google Translate is doomed to failure.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.