Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is a follow up to the question “What are the fundamental differences between the ~と一緒に and the ~とともに fragments?” Someone suggested that I post my question as a separate thread.

Well, something is off for me. It seems that Derek and rcjsuen's answer clash somewhat. If I am being explicit or am emphasizing who I am doing an activity with, this implies that I and this person did everything together every step of the way. However, according Derek's answer, I would use 一緒に. But according to rcjsuen's reply, I would use 共に.

So what am I missing in this understanding?

share|improve this question

Are you talking about Mark Hosang’s answer or rcjsuen’s answer? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 29 '12 at 0:29

@TsuyoshiIto rcjsuen's. It's corrected now. Thanks. –  dotnetN00b Dec 29 '12 at 0:31
Thanks for the edit. However, I am not sure how to answer your question. In my opinion, Derek Schaab’s answer is correct and rcjsuen’s answer is incorrect, but different people have different opinions. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 29 '12 at 0:39
We rarely say「彼女とともに日本へ来た」in normal conversation... We rather use 一緒に when we talk. (ともに sounds a bit literary.) To me,「一緒に学ぼう、ともに頑張ろう」 doesn't sound very different from 「ともに学ぼう、ともに頑張ろう」「一緒に学ぼう、一緒に頑張ろう」or「ともに学ぼう、一緒に頑張ろう」(I'd use 「一緒に[勉強]{べんきょう}しよう。一緒に頑張ろう」 when I talk casually. When I write and want to sound literary, I'd use 「ともに学ぼう、ともに頑張ろう」「一緒に学ぼう、ともに頑張ろう」etc) –  Choko Dec 29 '12 at 16:44

1 Answer 1

Strange enough, in the case of the question thru your link here, it seems that:

• 「誰々と一緒に」is basically equal to 'with someone', but
  • 「誰々とともに」sounds a bit like 'someone followed me'.

In most of the cases they have zero differences. But sometimes we use 「誰々と共に」when we talk in a literary way, like「共に走ろう」.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.