Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does Japanese have a term more-or-less equivalent to the German Klugscheißer (literally, "clever-shitter"; in English: smartypants, smartass, know-it-all, etc.)?

(Needless to say, this is not a term suitable for polite conversation!)

The best I could do was to look for translations for "smartass" or "smartypants". All I got this way was 賢い人, which, AFAIK, is not considered particularly vulgar, and does not even carry the derogatory/mocking overtones of the Klugscheißer. (But please correct me if I'm wrong!)

P.S. If you found an online source for this translation, please include it in your answer! I had no success with the many I tried, including a short video entirely devoted to equivalents in various languages (but not in Japanese).

share|improve this question
There's an entry on ALC: eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=smarty-pants&ref=sa –  snailboat Dec 24 '12 at 23:23
add comment

1 Answer 1

In French, this has two meanings. Both conveys that the person is irritating but one is "clever for real", one is "pretending to be".

For the "pretending to be clever", you have 知ったかぶり.

share|improve this answer

Well, it's got the sh*t part... :) I think that calling someone a Klugscheißer is not so much a comment on whether the person's knowledge is for real, as it is a way to tell someone that the sentiment his/her knowledge induces in others is irritation rather than admiration. –  kjo Dec 25 '12 at 3:20
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.