Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am having problems finding a word in this sentence in the dictionary:

一体全体なぜこんなところにおいでになったのか、たぶん話してはくださらないのでしょうね?

Unknown word: - はくださらない

The English translation is: "And I don't suppose you're going to tell me why you're here, of all places?"

I get the meaning thanks of the translation, but I wonder which word はくださらない comes from. Looking up はくだす gives no results.

share|improve this question
The original title of this question was “Word translation.” Please imagine how many questions can be given that title, and make the title much more specific when you ask a question next time. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 24 '12 at 13:33
@oldergod: I rolled back your edit. The point of the question is that the asker did not know that は was not part of the word. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 29 '12 at 18:24

@TsuyoshiIto I wonder then why both answers on くださる are so high rated. –  oldergod Dec 30 '12 at 3:42
@oldergod: Then you should read the answers more carefully. Both answers explain that はくださらない is not a single word but a combination of は and くださらない. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 30 '12 at 3:48

2 Answers 2

up vote 19 down vote accepted

くださらない(下さらない) is the negative form of くださる.
くださる(下さる) is the honorific form of くれる.
So 話して(+は)+くださらない is the negative form of 話して+くださる and 話して+くださる is the honorific of 話して+くれる.
(The negative form of 話して+くれる is 話して(+は)+くれない.)
The は is the particle([係助詞]{かかりじょし}) that comes with the negative ない (I think)...^^;
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

share|improve this answer
+1 for relating くださる to くれる –  wil Dec 24 '12 at 12:00

The verb you're looking for is くださる

話してはくださらない

What's going on here is te-form + は(the particle) + くださる

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.