Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My Japanese friend used the term 自殺志願者 jokingly in a journal entry, saying she sometimes wondered if she qualified for such a position. I could not find a specific dictionary definition for this word, but found it translated as:

suicide wanna-be

those who want to kill oneself

would-be suicide

suicide volunteer/ suicide candidate (the latter being the most literal translation)

In common context is this word ironic? Is it a comedic term in and of itself? If it is a common word, is it used mostly in a clinical or in a jocular way?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

自殺志願者 usually means its literal meaning: “a person who has a desire to commit suicide.” Although anything can be used in an ironic way, I do not think that it is particularly common to use this word ironically.

I have seen the word 自殺志願者 or similar words in a derogatory sense, “a person who does such a stupid and dangerous thing that it cannot be explained unless he/she wants to kill him/herself.”

share|improve this answer

Ok thanks. I asked because most dictionaries listed 志願者 as "applicant; candidate" (i.e., those applying for school entry or a job). I also saw "volunteer" but in a less verifiable source. So I thought maybe someone "applying" for the opportunity to commit suicide would be somewhat ironic. But maybe I am reading too much into it? –  yadokari Dec 23 '12 at 21:11

@yadokari: Ah, I see. 志願する is indeed usually used for applying for school or job, but 自殺志願者 is a usual term to refer to a person who has a desire to commit suicide. The “desire to commit suicide” itself is 自殺願望, and I do not know why a person who has such desire is usually called not 自殺願望者 but 自殺志願者. (By the way, thanks for the edit!) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 23 '12 at 21:34

You're welcome, and thank you for the further elucidation. That answers my questions. –  yadokari Dec 23 '12 at 21:41

Do you think 自殺志望者 is a more common term? –  yadokari Dec 24 '12 at 2:11

@yadokari: I do not know, but without checking anything, my guess is no. This may be just me, but the word 自殺志望者 sounds a little funny to me because of a possible pun between 志望 and 死亡. Because of this, I probably avoid using the word 自殺志望者 in any serious situation. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 24 '12 at 2:23

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.