Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Original sentence: 審判がクズなだけ! Google translates it as "Referee just scrap!" So if we analyze the sentence:

審判(referee) が(GA particle) クズな(???) だけ(only?)

What part of speech is クズな and what does the sentence really mean?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

クズ(屑) literally means ゴミ, waste, trash, litter, garbage, rubbish... and it's often used like "crap" or "a piece of crap". I think it means something like [役立]{やくた}たず or [無能]{むのう} (worthless, good-for-nothing..?).

審判 The referee
が the case particle as a subject marker
クズ crap, rubbish
な The auxiliary verb だ
だけ!only, It's only~~

So I think it's like... "It's only he's a crap referee!" "It's only because the referee is rubbish!"

share|improve this answer
Would you like to comment on the part of speech (品詞)? Dictionaries list it as a 名詞, and yet it is followed by な as if it were 形容動詞. –  Dono Dec 22 '12 at 14:03
Google shows lots of results for both 屑な and クズな. Is it possible that the word has only recently become popular as a な-adjective? –  Billy Dec 22 '12 at 16:03
@Dono, you must be playing the devil's advocate here, I cannot imagine that you don't know that な here is the attributive version of copula. –  dainichi Dec 22 '12 at 19:32
@Billy, yes, that might be recent usage, however, that's not relevant for the question. You can also say nounなだけ with non-な-adjectives, e.g. つまらない男なだけさ, it's just that I'm a foolish guy. –  dainichi Dec 22 '12 at 19:42
@dainichi If it were "kuzu na no da", then yes. However, try another noun: *inu na dake, which is simply ungrammatical. So, if kuzu is a noun, as dictionaries state, then that does not really explain the na here. Lets try a 形容動詞: kirei na dake -- this is grammatical. So, is kuzu also 形容動詞? If so, why do no dictionaries categorize it as such? I think there is more that needs to be said here. –  Dono Dec 23 '12 at 1:35
show 9 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.