Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

彼が持っているのは二百円です。 Supposedly this means "It is 200 yen that he has.". But I am really not familiar with this sentence construction. Therefore, I'm not sure how everything before の works with the rest of the sentence. Or what の is doing in the first place.

share|improve this question
is there any more context for the quote? –  yadokari Dec 21 '12 at 21:51
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

彼が持っているのは二百円です

He has 200 yen.

彼 / が持っている / の

He / has (lit. is holding) / (what he is holding){because の makes が持っている into a noun="what he has"}

は / 二百円です

as for / 200 yen is

So literally, it would be, "As for what he is holding, it is 200 yen" - "As for what he has, it is 200 yen" - "As for what he has, it's 200 yen" - "He has 200 yen"

の turns 彼が持っている into a noun phrase, while は means "as for".

In natural English, it becomes "He has 200 yen." Without context, I cannot ascertain what is emphasized -see comments below as well as this question:

AはB emphasizing B, rather than A/aはb-emphasizing-b-rather-than-a

Depending on context, perhaps an implied meaning would be, "All he has is 200 yen."

share|improve this answer
I am not sure what you mean by “emphasis on ‘what he has.’” As I understand it, the sentence puts an emphasis on 二百円, as the English translation in the question suggests. For example, the sentence in question can naturally arise in the following context: 彼が持っているのは二百円です。二百ドルではありません。 In other words, the 彼が持っているの part is known information, and 二百円 is new information. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 21 '12 at 20:37

@TsuyoshiIto, could you tell me what you think the question in Japanese would be that would elicit the quoted response in the op's question? –  yadokari Dec 21 '12 at 20:56

The sentence, "It is 200 yen that he has." is natural only if one is asked a question along the lines of, "What is it that he has?" ...(the english seems somewhat unnatural to me) –  yadokari Dec 21 '12 at 20:58

If I translate は as "as for," then the emphasis is on "what he has." Perhaps I am mistaken in this translation. –  yadokari Dec 21 '12 at 21:01

I don't understand your point on known vs new information- if the listener knows "what the person has" then why would he ask it? maybe i am not following you correctly. –  yadokari Dec 21 '12 at 21:03
show 10 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.