Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can the expression:

寒気{さむけ}が する

really mean feel cold and also have a chill (as per many dictionaries)?

To me, to have a chill/bug means to be sick from a virus/cold for a short period: have I missed something?

For reference I give the followings nouns fitting the construction "がする”・to sense:

におい、音、気、味 [smell, sound, feel, taste]

share|improve this question
We also often say 寒気がする when we hear ghost stories and feel scared. cf. ぞっとする, ぞぞぞ, ぞーっ –  Choko Dec 21 '12 at 15:57

@Chocolate: I didn't know that - thanks! –  Tim Dec 21 '12 at 16:01
So "have a chill" = "spine-tingling" in that sense. I wonder how many dictionaries have that as part of the definition. –  istrasci Dec 21 '12 at 16:13

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

When you are sick (especially when you have a fever), you sometimes feel the cold as if it were colder than it actually is. [寒気]{さむけ} means this feeling of coldness. It does not matter whether it is caused by viruses or bacteria, nor does it matter whether it is for a short period or for a long period. As Chocolate noted, it also means the similar feeling caused by fear. The word “chill” in English has a similar meaning.

(Do not confuse with a separate word [寒気]{かんき}, which is written in the same way in kanji.)

share|improve this answer

Does 寒気(さむけ) overlap with 悪寒 then? Although I don't think 悪寒 implies having a fever/cold, does it? –  istrasci Dec 21 '12 at 18:36

@istrasci: (1) Yes, 寒気 (さむけ) and 悪寒 are quite similar. In fact, 悪寒 implies being sick more strongly than 寒気 because I think that 悪寒 is limited to the feeling of coldness arising from being sick and not the one arising from fear. (2) I changed the wording in the answer a little, because one can feel 寒気 (and 悪寒 for that matter) from sickness even when one does not actually have a fever (high body temperature). In this sense, feeling 寒気 or 悪寒 does not logically imply having a fever. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 21 '12 at 19:07

What would you say to convey having non-illness chills? I am a 寒がり, so there are some winter mornings where I'm not sick and I just cannot get warm. I've used 悪寒 before (今朝はずっと悪寒!), but from what you said, this wasn't correct because I wasn't sick. –  istrasci Dec 21 '12 at 19:11

@istrasci: I personally think that it is incorrect to use the word 悪寒 in that situation. If someone says 悪寒がする, I definitely think that he/she feels sick and not that he/she feels the cold easily. (But other people may have different opinions…let’s wait for other people to chime in!) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 21 '12 at 19:21
@istrasci: I forgot to reply to this part: “What would you say to convey having non-illness chills?” I would say something along “寒い,” “寒く感じる,” “すうすうする,” and “すこすこする.” The last one might be dialectal (I am not sure). –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 22 '12 at 21:48

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.