Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Original sentence: アドビやら、お絵描き系のアプリは、誰かが実証しない限り、動かねーんじゃね? I can't understand the structure of the last verb. So far I understood that 動か(conjugated form) + ねー(negative particle) + んじゃ(???) + ね(question particle). What does んじゃ mean

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

動か is the conjugated form of the verb 動く
ねー is the colloquial version of the negative auxiliary verb ない
ん is the colloquial version of the nominalization particle の
じゃ is the colloquial version of the auxiliary verb で (the dictionary form is だ)+ the particle は
ね (or ねえ, ねぇ or ねー) is also the colloquial version of ない (but the ね/ない here is an adjective not an auxiliary verb)

So... more politely it'd be like 動かないのではないですか?or 動かないのではありませんか?And... if you put it more feminine, I'd say... 動かないんじゃない?(I think it's like "I wonder if it wouldn't work" "I doubt it would work" or "It wouldn't work, would it?" ... sorry for my poor English) ^^

share|improve this answer

thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for –  minerals Dec 21 '12 at 11:21
add comment

This is an colloquial way to write 動かないんじゃないか = 動かないのではないか.
〜ではないか means "is it not 〜". I.e. the whole sentence means: Is it not the case that it will not work?

That sentence is kinda weird though because it implies that something will start to work if somebody shows that it works. Perhaps he/she was sleepy when they wrote this ;p

share|improve this answer

thanks for the tip –  minerals Dec 21 '12 at 11:21
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.