Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Both「目的」and「目標」have a common meaning which is "goal", but what is the difference?
When can we use one but not the other?

share|improve this question

Which dictionary did you check? Doesn't your dictionary say more than just "goal"? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 18 '12 at 18:20

It was actually in my book. For example: まず無理のない目標を立てる。 If I use 「目的」instead of 「目標」 is the meaning of sentence going to change? 実は教科書に出てきた言葉なんです。例えば「まず無理のない目標を立てる」。もし「目標」のかわりに「目的」を使ったら意味が違うのでしょうか。 In my dictionary 目的; a purpose; 〔目標〕a goal, an objective; 〔ねらい〕an aim; 〔意図〕an intention 目標: 〔ねらい〕an aim; 〔最終目的〕a goal; 〔達成目標〕a target By the way I'm using mac osx Lion's dictionary –  Birkan Aras Dec 18 '12 at 18:34

Thanks. I do not have time to think about a proper answer right now, but here are some hints. (1) “目標を立てる” means “set a goal,” but “目的を立てる” is incorrect. (2) Another hint is in your dictionary: what is the difference between “purpose” and “goal”? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 18 '12 at 19:19
add comment

2 Answers

目的=目標+意味

I would think of a basic example.

I want to become better at shooting the basketball. => 目的
I will consider myself better at it when I score at least 50% of my shots. => 目標

I think 目的 is a high level image, global image of a goal. 目標 is more achievement like low level goal, usual can be quantified and explicit that will define the concrete steps to the 目的.

share|improve this answer
add comment

目的 can also mean "purpose". There is a book called "The Purpose Driven Life". In Japanese, it's titled 人生を導く5つの目的.

I think it boils down to the difference in English between "purpose" and "goal". A goal is something finite you hope to achieve. A purpose is like a motivation for why you do something. Often they will overlap, but not always. Having a finite goal kind of implies that you have a motivation. However, the converse -- having a motivation implies you have a finite goal -- is not necessarily true.

Ex.

A: Why did you come to campus today?
B1: I came to visit my professor and get a letter of recommendation. → The goal and the motivation are the same: get the letter.
B2: I came to visit my professor. → The motivation of why I came to campus is to see my professor. However, there is nothing "achievable" just by visiting him.

So the same with the Japanese words. If you have a 目標 you also (likely) have a 目的. However, if you have a 目的, you do not necessary have a 目標.

That's how I see them anyway.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.