Sign up ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm referring specifically to using the て form to form a pseudo conjunction, and specifically the transformation of verbs in formal writing by using the verb stem instead of て form.

For example the following sentence:


Is there a grammatical term for this, either a verb form or some sort of usage term?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

I believe that when you use the 連用形 as a conjunction, the form is referred to as the 中止形.

This usage is described by 中止法.

share|improve this answer
This is correct. However, it need not be a verb. Any 用言 will suffice. (Hence, an adjective as well.) – Dono Dec 15 '12 at 14:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.