Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am not sure about the meaning of this sentence.

意味ありげな笑いを浮かべた

"(He) showed a meaningful laughter" ?

Is that correct?

share|improve this question
意味ありげな笑いを浮かべた>>>more poetically, 意味ありげな[笑]{え}みを浮かべた。^^ –  Choko Dec 9 '12 at 9:33
Yes, I think in combination with 浮かべる, 笑み fits better than 笑い... Where did you find the sentence? –  Earthliŋ Dec 9 '12 at 9:54

こんな感じでしょうか? >>> lohas.nicoseiga.jp/thumb/1680577i (malicious grin?) or...>>> t3.gstatic.com/… –  Choko Dec 9 '12 at 17:24
The sentence is from a JLPT preparation book. thx –  toobee Dec 10 '12 at 0:06

3 Answers 3

Cypher and userxxxx have covered the grammar but if you were struggling with "a meaningful smile" then perhaps it could be translated as:

he wore a pregnant smile on his face

or, perhaps, dependng on context:

he allowed a pregnant smile to cross his face

笑い can be smile, chuckle, snigger, giggle or smile but when I came across the following in the textbook そうまとめ文法N2:

男は 意味ありげな 笑いを 浮かべた。

I imagined a small huddle in corner, whispering, and took the line to mean:

The men let out a meaningful laugh.

(again it probably comes down to context.) The following expressions are useful to know:

自信ありげconfident laugh

自信なさげ laugh lacking in confidence

自慢げboastful

share|improve this answer
ok, thx. My sentence is from this N2 book. I don't have more context, it is standing alone maybe that made it hard to understand for me. Thx –  toobee Dec 10 '12 at 0:09
For me, "a knowing smile" is another natural translation. –  jogloran Dec 10 '12 at 2:25
  • I would say that 意味ありげ comes from 意味 "meaning" and 有{あ}り気{げ} "appearing like"/"seeming to be".

Daijirin says 意味ありげ means 何か意味がありそうな様子, or "a state of appearing to have meaning", the 〜げ presumably coming from the 〜気{げ} which means more-or-less the same as 〜そう (see also What is the difference between ~げ and ~そう), so I think "appearing to have meaning" might be a more literal translation but that "meaningful" is probably close enough.

• The 笑い here means "smile" I think.

• I think the transitive verb 浮かべる here means "to express (on one's face)" (def #2 at Daijisen), coming from the core meaning of 浮かべる of "to float"/"to launch (a ship on water etc)".

So I think the translation "(He) expressed a meaningful smile on (his) face" would be close.

• 意味ありげ has the same meaning as 意味がある気配 (and may be a contraction of this phrase). It means, just like you suggest, "meaningful" or in a longer version "indicative of having meaning".

• 笑い is more often a smile than a laughter.

• 浮かべる is related to 浮かぶ "to float/to surface".

Thus the full sentence is (very much like you suggested)

意味ありげな笑いを浮かべた
He showed a meaningful smile.

or, more poetically

A meaningful smile appeared on his face.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.