Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I cannot really comprehend koyokana in the following short sentence: shoppu itte koyokana.

What meaning does koyokana give to the "shoppu itte" part. How could I divide koyokana in mind: koyo ka na or ko yo ka na

share|improve this question
Could it be ~来ようかな? –  Flaw Dec 5 '12 at 11:34

mm I think it might be:) though i haven't met with this before like this itte koyou kana.:) Eventhough I did see kuru as the following ittekimasu. maybe ittekoyou ka na is a more informal way. –  Dajka Laszlo Dec 5 '12 at 12:30
It's certainly 来ようかな, as in 行ってくる + volitional + the reflective かな. Did you originally see it written in romaji? –  ssb Dec 5 '12 at 14:28

no I saw i written in hiragana and kanji this way ショップ行ってこよかな –  Dajka Laszlo Dec 5 '12 at 15:45

@ssb is correct. This is just very casual. Think of when you use "I gotta go" or something like that. –  Kenzo Dec 5 '12 at 16:24
show 2 more comments

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

" ショップ行ってこよかな " is a slangy way of saying the following:

ショップへ行って来ようかな

Assuming the subject is first person, here is how one can break it down:

ショップへ To the store

行って来よう Shall I go [to the store] (literally "shall I go to the store and come back"). *行ってこよう is the volitional form of 行ってくる. Without a question word, this could be translated as "Let's go [to the store]."

か question word

な indicates pondering this question. As a particle at the end of a sentence, な can denote emotion or emphasis. The more extended it is the more emphasis, i.e.,"なぁぁぁぁ。。。 "

So in natural English, the sentence ショップへ行って来ようかな becomes:

Hmmm, should I go to the store or not?

share|improve this answer

Thank you very much!!:) –  Dajka Laszlo Dec 5 '12 at 19:25
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.