Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Japanese, how to call a wait pointer?

I am talking about a computer mouse pointer which becomes a spinning wheel or hourglass (depending on the OS) when the application is busy processing something, or frozen:

enter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description here

After discussion with 3 Japanese people, apparently ウェイトカーソル is acceptable but there might be something better.

share|improve this question

In Java, I've seen 待ち状態のカーソル –  Jesse Good Dec 5 '12 at 10:29

How would one translate "Spinning Beachball of Waiting"? That's what I call it. –  istrasci Dec 5 '12 at 18:48

That's an interesting question...I actually don't know if I've ever heard of it called that in English, just usually "the hourglass" or "the spinning beach-ball", etc –  silvermaple Dec 5 '12 at 21:23
add comment

1 Answer

According to Microsoft Language Portal, they call it “wait cursor” in English and “待機カーソル” in Japanese in the documentation for Visual Studio 2008 SP1, 2010, and 2012. I am not sure how popular this term is among users.

share|improve this answer

I've certainly never heard of either "wait pointer" or "wait cursor" in English, and I consider myself very computer-literate, so I'm inclined to believe it's not very popular except amongst people who have read that documentation. (More flippantly, but equally sincerely, I imagine that in practice the Japanese at least use the same sort of language we do to describe it, such as "beach ball of death" or "oh for ****'s sake that stupid ******* egg timer ******* again".) –  Billy Dec 5 '12 at 19:50
@Billy: When it looked like an hourglass, it was definitely called 砂時計カーソル (hourglass cursor) or 砂時計アイコン (hourglass icon). I doubt that this name is used anymore in Mac or Windows because neither OS uses the hourglass shape by default. Now I might informally refer to it as something along 時間がかかるときに表示されるくるくる回るやつ (that spinning one that is shown when the computer is taking time). –  Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 5 '12 at 23:28
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.