Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If I say:

16日以降参加できません。

It means I cannot participate after the 16th.

However, what about on the 16th? Is it also implied that I cannot participate on the 16th either? Or, that I can participate on the 16th, but not after?

share|improve this question
Not a duplicate, but related: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/1765/… –  snailboat Dec 4 '12 at 4:46

1 Answer 1

up vote 14 down vote accepted

Yes, it is inclusive. All the similar phrases that use 以 are inclusive: 以内、以前、以上、以下、以来. However, unfortunately a lot of people do not know this and use them carelessly without thinking.

If you wanted to express "After the 16th but not including it", you could say:

16日の翌日から参加できません。

However, I would be more inclined to say:

17日以降参加できません。

share|improve this answer

I trust your answer. By the way how would you express "After the 16th but not including it" ? –  wil Dec 4 '12 at 5:45
In your particular example, you could say: 16日の翌日から参加できません。However, I would be more inclined to say 17日以降参加できません。 –  Jesse Good Dec 4 '12 at 7:11

Thanks for your input. –  wil Dec 4 '12 at 10:36

Another way to say “I cannot participate after Feb. 16, exclusive” is 16日までしか参加できません: “I can participate only until Feb. 16, inclusive.” –  Tsuyoshi Ito Feb 11 '13 at 2:19

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.