Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I understand that the word シクシク is 擬声語/giseigo/onomatopoeia equivalent to the English "boo-hoo/boo-hoo-hoo."

恐怖でシクシク泣く To whimper in fear

彼女はボーイフレンドに捨てられた時、あまりの惨めさにシクシクと泣いた。 She wailed in misery when her boyfriend dumped her.

However, I also see it as a qualifier for pain, but I can't tell what kind of pain it describes. Is it a pain so "gripping" as to make one sob, or is it a "dull" pain (which implies something more to be inconvenienced or annoyed by)?

シクシクと痛みます It is a dull pain.

胃がシクシク痛む have a gripping pain in one's stomach

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

シクシク implies continuing, moderate level of crying/pain. I don't know if their etymology is related but 雨がシトシト降る also means that a moderate (not too hard, but not soft either) level of rain continuously falls. Maybe this sound pattern is associated with moderate, continuing things in Japanese.

share|improve this answer

I believe that シクシク describes a dull, gripping pain as in 締め付けられるような痛み.

I've heard it used most often in hospitals to describe pain that a patient may be having.

Since you are describing a feeling using onomatopoeia, its implied meaning might be a bit vague without sufficient context. It's akin to trying to describe your car problem to a mechanic by imitating the car when it experiences the problem. E.g. "When I go up the hill my car goes *Grunt* *Plunk* *Poot* *Che-Che-Che*"

鈍痛 might be more appropriate to refer to dull pain in general.

share|improve this answer

thank u and thanx for the cool link –  yadokari Dec 3 '12 at 16:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.