Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was studying on another website and ran across a blurb that said that a pen is also called mannenhitsu in Japan. Is there a difference between the two? If not, is mannenhitsu said sometimes, just as often, or more often as pen in Japanese?

share|improve this question
Do you mean "mannenhitsu" (まんねんひつ,万年筆)? – fefe Dec 2 '12 at 0:30
Please use a dictionary! Any reasonable Japanese-English dictionary should state that “mannenhitsu” means a fountain pen. – Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 2 '12 at 23:28
up vote 9 down vote accepted

万年筆(まんねんひつ) specifically refers to fountain pens, whereas ペン is more generic and can also refer to other types of pens, such as ballpoint pens.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.