Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have problem with word use again:) there are these two words 園地 (enchi) and 庭 (niwa)。 as far as I know 'niwa' refers to a garden around the house right? What about 'enchi' does it refer to a house garden as well or maybe to the garden of a shrine or temple? Thank you for your help!

share|improve this question

園地 is more like a park or garden (in the sense that the word garden is sometimes used for public parks in English). It definitely doesn't have to be on a temple or shrine grounds. Check out Higashi Yuuenchi (東遊園地) in Kobe for example: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9D%B1%E9%81%8A%E5%9C%92%E5%9C%B0

share|improve this answer
Thank you for the help. oh right yuuenchi:) I have met this word before:) yuuenchi is amusement park right? so in a "yuuenchi" there are means of amusements and a simple 'enchi' might be a place with trees and benches. sorry if I mix it totally.:) – Dajka Laszlo Nov 30 '12 at 15:21
Yes, 遊園地 is an amusement park. A lot of people also use the word テーマパーク as well, especially for a place that has, well, a theme - cultural, historical and movie related are very popular. – Kenzo Nov 30 '12 at 15:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.